COVID-19 Nasal Swab Collection
A nasal specimen is required for COVID-19 testing. Instructions on how to collect this swab are provided below.
- Wash your hands and wear appropriate PPE. Complete the SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) requisition.
- Ensure the collection tube is labeled with the patient’s first and last name, date of birth, gender, time, and date of collection.
- Ask the patient to blow their nose before swab collection.
2. Nasal Swab
- Gently unscrew the cap.
- Remove the swab from the sterile wrapping.
- Do NOT touch any part of the swab other than the shaft of the swab.
- Next, insert the tip of the swab horizontally into one nostril, at least 2 inches until resistance is felt. Some patients may experience an urge to sneeze or cough or watering of the eyes.
- Rotate the swab 5 times and then leave in position for 5-10 seconds to absorb any material present.
- Withdraw the swab carefully, taking care not to touch the exposed tip.
- Insert swab shaft into the tube, snap shaft at the marked line or bend the swab to fit inside the tube.
- Screw-on lid firmly to ensure no leakage.
Last updated: Wednesday, 17 November 2021