Breast nipple smears
The following procedure is recommended for preparing smears of breast nipple secretions:
- Write the patient's full name (first and last), date of birth and sample collection site on the slide.
- Gently massage the breast in the direction of the nipple to express secretions.
- Touch a glass slide to the secreted drop(s). If discharge is scant, apply fixative immediately.
- Smear the fluid using a second slide.
- Apply the fixative immediately to both slides.
- Repeat these steps as long as fluid continues to appear (up to 10 slides).